Jews: Yemen:Written question - 106269

Asked by Andrew Percy
(Brigg and Goole)
Asked on: 06 October 2017
Home Office
Jews: Yemen
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what assistance the Government is providing to Jewish people seeking to leave Yemen.
Answered by: Brandon Lewis
Answered on: 17 October 2017

There are safe and legal routes for people to come to the UK should they wish to join family members here, work or study. They would need to meet the requirements of the relevant Immigration Rule under which they were applying to qualify for a visa. Details about the criteria and how to apply are available on the GOV.UK website at:

However, there is no provision in the Immigration Rules for people to be allowed to travel to the UK to seek asylum. Those who need international protection should claim in the first safe country they reach – that is the fastest route to safety.

Those who have left Yemen and been recognised as refugees by UNHCR may be eligible for resettlement under one of our discretionary resettlement schemes: Gateway, Mandate or the Vulnerable Children’s Resettlement Scheme which resettles at-risk children and their families living in Turkey, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan or Lebanon.

Share this page