Special Educational Needs: British Nationals Abroad:Written question - 105957


Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 06 October 2017
Department for Education
Special Educational Needs: British Nationals Abroad
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, where Government responsibility lies for the funding of high needs support for students aged 16 to 25 who are studying outside the UK.
Answered by: Joseph Johnson
Answered on: 11 October 2017

High needs funding is provided to local authorities through the high needs block of the Dedicated Schools Grant, and supports provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities up to the age of 25, including provision named in education, health and care (EHC) plans.

In deciding on the appropriate placement for a child or young person, local authorities have a duty to consider the efficient use of local authority resources, as well as whether the placement can meet the young person’s needs. If it is deemed necessary to secure provision outside of the UK for a child or young person with an EHC plan, the local authority may use its high needs budget to fund the special educational provision. There is no responsibility for local authorities to provide funding for provision outside of the UK if the child or young person’s needs do not require an EHC plan.

We are not aware of any current cases where local authorities are supporting pupils with special educational needs outside of the UK.

Share this page