Fire Extinguishers: Non-domestic Rates:Written question - 7897

Asked by John Mann

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 04 September 2017
HM Treasury
Fire Extinguishers: Non-domestic Rates
To ask Mr Chancellor of the Exchequer, how much is levied in additional business rates on landlords of residential properties as a result of the classification of sprinkler systems as plant and machinery or otherwise so as to attract a higher level of such rates.
Answered by: Mel Stride
Answered on: 07 September 2017

Most residential properties are liable for council tax, not business rates. In the main, it is the occupier of a residential property that is liable for council tax, rather than the landlord.

The value of any sprinkler system would usually be included in the council tax banding assessment.

The VOA does not routinely record the proportion of a property's assessment that is attributable to a sprinkler system.

Share this page