Health Services: Local Government:Written question - 65222

Asked by Mary Glindon
(North Tyneside)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 22 February 2017
Department of Health
Health Services: Local Government
To ask the Secretary of State for Health, whether local authorities are required to provide non-mandated public health services such as drug and alcohol services.
Answered by: Nicola Blackwood
Answered on: 27 February 2017

Under section 2B of the NHS Act 2006 local authorities (LAs) must take such steps as they consider appropriate for improving the health of the people in their areas. Section 6C of the 2006 Act allows the Secretary of State to make regulations requiring LAs to exercise their public health functions by taking particular steps.

No regulations have been made in respect of drug or alcohol misuse services. However, a condition attached to the public health grant that is paid to LAs under section 31 of the Local Government Act 2003 requires them to use the grant with regard to the need to improve the take up of, and outcomes from, their drug and alcohol misuse treatment services. Where steps are not mandated in regulations or grant conditions LAs must make decisions based on their own priorities and assessments of local need, and account for those decisions to their electorates.

Share this page