Foreign Students: EU Countries:Written question - 60112

Asked by Stephen Timms
(East Ham)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 16 January 2017
Department for Education
Foreign Students: EU Countries
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, how many UK nationals are currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree at a university in another EU country.
Answered by: Joseph Johnson
Answered on: 19 January 2017

Information specifically relating to UK nationals enrolled at higher education institutions (HEIs) in other EU countries is not available.

Eurostat collects data primarily on the basis of the country in which students completed their secondary schooling. In absence of this, they collect data on the basis of the students’ usual or permanent residence prior to their higher education studies, or their citizenship. Eurostat data shows that approximately 13,000 students whose country of origin was the UK were enrolled in HEIs in EU countries in academic year 2013/14, and approximately 5,000 were studying first degrees.

Eurostat publishes these statistics on their website and they can be accessed using the web tool at the following link:

Share this page