Religious Freedom:Written question - 42608

Asked by Jim Shannon
Asked on: 13 July 2016
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Religious Freedom
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, if he will provide support to overseas students who convert to Christianity in the UK to ensure they are not persecuted for their religious beliefs when they return to their country of origin.
Answered by: Alok Sharma
Answered on: 22 July 2016

The UK is a staunch defender of the right to freedom of religion or belief internationally. We believe that societies where freedom of religion or belief is protected are fairer, more tolerant and better able to resist extremist ideologies.

With this in mind, we actively lobby governments for changes to laws and practices that discriminate against individuals on the basis of their religion or belief.

In many cases students have access to alumni networks, often supported or endorsed by the British Embassy, once they have returned to their country of origin. Such networks can offer moral and practical support in times of need.

Share this page