Children: Maintenance:Written question - 39916

Asked by Joanna Cherry
(Edinburgh South West)
Asked on: 08 June 2016
Department for Work and Pensions
Children: Maintenance
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what assessment his Department has made of the affordability of the child support system for people who are self-employed.
Answered by: Priti Patel
Answered on: 17 June 2016

Even after parents have separated they continue to have financial responsibility for their children. We believe that the calculation for Child Maintenance is reasonable and proportionate, being based on the level of the non-resident parent’s income, regardless of whether they are employed or self-employed.

The formula for the Child Maintenance Calculation is based primarily on the non-resident parent’s gross taxable income, where possible using information derived from HMRC. The level of the calculation is intended to be an approximation of what the non-resident parent would spend if the child lived with them.

Share this page