Honours:Written question - 19413

Asked on: 09 December 2015
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what the rules and regulations are on the use, style and designation in the UK accorded to dual nationals or nationals of Commonwealth realms who are recipients of a knighthood in any of those realms; and if he will make a statement.
Answered by: James Duddridge
Answered on: 18 December 2015

The Sovereign’s permission must be sought whenever a British national wishes to accept an award offered by another country. If permission is given, the award may be accepted, the insignia may be worn and the relevant post-nominal letters may be used. The Sovereign does not give permission for the formal use of the title “Sir” in the United Kingdom; only those British nationals, including dual nationals, awarded British knighthoods may use the title “Sir” in a formal context in the United Kingdom. The Sovereign acts with the advice of the Government. Nationals of all the Realms, awarded a British knighthood, are entitled to use the title “Sir” in the United Kingdom. The titles of Realm nationals, who are not British, and have been awarded a knighthood by their own country, are recognised in the United Kingdom as an official courtesy.

Share this page