Roads: Rural Areas:Written question - 12071

Asked by Bill Wiggin
(North Herefordshire)
Asked on: 15 October 2015
Department for Transport
Roads: Rural Areas
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what research he has commissioned on the condition of rural roads.
Answered by: Andrew Jones
Answered on: 22 October 2015

The Department for Transport has not commissioned any research in respect to the condition of rural roads.

In December 2014 it was announced how this Government is allocating record funding of just under £6 billion to local authorities in England, outside London, for highways maintenance between 2015 and 2021. This funding can be used to fix potholes and improve the condition of the rural road network depending on the priorities and needs of the respective highway authority.

The following weblink provides information on how much funding is to be allocated between now and 2021 to local highway authorities for local highways maintenance. The funding is based on a formula which includes the length of carriageway an authority is responsible for rather than need:

Herefordshire County Council will receive over £60 million between 2015 and 2021 from this funding.

Grouped Questions: 12072 | 12077

Share this page