Children in Care:Written question - 7808

Asked by Julian Knight
Asked on: 17 July 2015
Department for Education
Children in Care
To ask the Secretary of State for Education, if she will introduce legislative proposals to place a legal responsibility on local authorities to notify their neighbouring authorities when they place 16 to 21 year olds leaving (a) care and (b) young offender institutions in that area.
Answered by: Edward Timpson
Answered on: 22 July 2015

Our statutory guidance, ‘Planning Transition to Adulthood for Care Leavers sets out local authorities’ responsibilities when care leavers are placed out of area. In these circumstances, the placing local authority must remain in close contact and take responsibility for planning the young person’s transition to adulthood. The guidance explains that local authorities should work together with relevant agencies such as health and adult social care services when planning a young person’s transition to adulthood.

Where a care leaver is placed in custody, pathway planning must continue. The young person must be visited on a regular basis by a personal adviser from the placing authority. It is good practice for the personal adviser to carry out a review of the pathway plan at least a month before release in order to give sufficient time for pre-release planning. This should include plans for the care leaver to move into suitable accommodation, with the right kind of support, on release from custody.

A copy of the guidance is available at:

Share this page