Access to Work Programme:Written question - 215832

Asked by Helen Goodman
(Bishop Auckland)

Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 25 November 2014
Department for Work and Pensions
Access to Work Programme
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether an Access to Work claimant has to be paying class 2 national insurance contributions in order to qualify for the scheme as a self-employed person.
Answered by: Mr Mark Harper
Answered on: 28 November 2014

In order to be eligible for funding through the Access to Work programme customers must satisfy certain eligibility criteria. One of these criteria is that they are employed or self employed. For Access to Work purposes, self-employment is defined as:

• operating a business either alone or in partnership, or working for an employer on a self-employed contractual basis;

• operating a franchised business on a self-employed basis;

• paying Class II or class IV National Insurance contributions.

• If the applicant is over retirement age (and therefore no longer liable to pay National Insurance) AtW staff will seek to determine that the person is self-employed by requesting a business plan approved by a bank or other financial authority.

Share this page