Jobseeker's Allowance:Written question - 212350


Named Day

'Named day' questions only occur in the House of Commons. The MP tabling the question specifies the date on which they should receive an answer. MPs may not table more than five named day questions on a single day.

Asked on: 28 October 2014
Department for Work and Pensions
Jobseeker's Allowance
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, pursuant to the Answer of 28 October 2014 to Question 211684, whether the planned exemption from the three month residency test for people claiming jobseeker's allowance will apply to the family members of people posted abroad while serving in the armed forces.
Answered by: Esther McVey
Answered on: 03 November 2014

Currently, family members of HM forces, Crown servants and other types of posted worker are required to satisfy the three month residence requirement before they can claim Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) unless they personally fall within the scope of the exemption, for example, by having paid Class 1 or Class 2 National Insurance Contributions. Partners of members of the armed forces are however credited with UK National Insurance contributions and can also benefit from an easement to the first contribution condition for contributory JSA or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). This can help secure an entitlement to these benefits should either be required upon any return to the UK.

Share this page