Register of Hereditary Peers
Register of Hereditary Peers who wish to stand for election as members of the House of Lords under Standing Order 9 (Hereditary peers: by-elections). Browse registers by session below.
The House of Lords Act 1999 provided that “no-one shall be a member of the House of Lords by virtue of a hereditary peerage”, but excepted from this general exclusion 90 hereditary peers and the holders of the offices of Earl Marshal and Lord Great Chamberlain. Since the end of the 2001–02 parliamentary session, section 2(4) of the 1999 Act and Standing Order 9(3) have provided for a vacancy among any of the 90 excepted hereditary peers to be filled by means of a by-election. Standing Order 9(4) requires the Clerk of the Parliaments to maintain and publish annually a register of hereditary peers (other than peers of Ireland) who wish to stand in any such by-election.
The following hereditary peers have indicated their wish to stand in any by-election under Standing Order 10. This list includes both hereditary peers who were members of the House before the enactment of the 1999 Act, and hereditary peers who have succeeded to their peerages since the 1999 Act or were not previously in receipt of a writ of summons and have been added to the register under Standing Order 10 in the case of those added since 23 January 2001, or who satisfied the Crown Office of their succession before that date.
Hereditary peers may join or leave the register at any point. Up-to-date information may be obtained from the Journal Office, House of Lords, London SW1A 0PW.
- Register of Hereditary Peers as at 10 May 2022
- Register of Hereditary Peers as at 10 May 2022 (pdf 82KB)
- Register of Hereditary Peers 19 December 2019
- Register of Hereditary Peers 19 December 2019 (pdf 71KB)
- Register of Hereditary Peers 14 October 2019
- Register of Hereditary Peers 14 October 2019 (pdf 71KB)
- Register of Hereditary Peers 18 November 2009
- Register of Hereditary Peers 18 November 2009 (pdf 242KB)
- Register of Hereditary Peers 3 December 2008
- Register of Hereditary Peers 3 December 2008 (pdf 94KB)