Lords debates Spring Statement
1 April 2022
On Thursday 31 March in Grand Committee, work away from the chamber, members of the House of Lords debated the economy following the Chancellor of the Exchequer’s recent Spring Statement.
Baroness Penn (Conservative), government spokesperson, opened the debate and responded on behalf of the government.
This was a general debate. During debates, members put their experience to good use to discuss current issues and draw the government's attention to concerns.
Members speaking in the debate included:
- Lord Bird (Crossbench), founder and editor-in-chief of the Big Issue
- Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth (Conservative), former shadow Finance Minister in the Welsh Assembly
- Baroness Kramer (Liberal Democrats), member of the Social Market Foundation's policy advisory board
- Lord Sikka (Labour), advisor to the Tax Justice Network.
Explore background information
Find out more about the issues the debate covers in the House of Lords Library briefing.
Learn more about how the House of Lords checks and challenges government.
- Business, industry and consumers
- Communities and families
- Economy and finance
- Parliament, government and politics
- Social security and pensions