Lords debates energy national policy statements
23 February 2022
On Tuesday 22 February, members of the Lords debated the draft Revised Energy National Policy Statements laid before the House on 11 October 2021.
These set out the government’s policy for the delivery of energy infrastructure and provide the legal framework for planning decisions.
During debates, members put their experience to good use to discuss current issues and draw the government's attention to concerns.
Lord Callanan, (Conservative), Minister for Business, Energy and Corporate Responsibility, put forward the debate and responded on behalf of the government.
Members speaking included:
- Baroness Jones of Moulsecoomb (Green), former green transport adviser to the Mayor of London
- Baroness McIntosh of Pickering (Conservative), president of National Energy Action
- Lord Oates (Liberal Democrats), commissioner for the UK Hydrogen Policy Commission
- Lord Whitty (Labour), former president of the Combined Heat and Power Association.
Watch and read the debate
Explore background information
Read the government's Draft Overarching National Policy Statement for Energy.
Learn more about how the House of Lords checks and challenges government.
Image: AS_Photographics / Pixabay
- Agriculture, animals, food and rural affairs
- Business, industry and consumers
Economy and finance
- Energy and environment
- Parliament, government and politics
Science and technology