Lords debates UK foreign aid
2 July 2021
The House of Lords debated the importance of the UK foreign aid programme on Thursday 1 July.
Lord Fowler (Crossbench), UNAIDS ambassador and former Secretary of State for Health during the HIV epidemic, put forward the debate, his first since stepping down as Lord Speaker in April.
This was a general debate. During debates, members put their experience to good use to discuss current issues and draw the government's attention to concerns.
Members speaking included:
- Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale (Labour), campaigner for development in Malawi
- Lord Hastings of Sacrisbrick (Crossbench), Vice President of UNICEF UK and President of ZANE, a Zimbabwe focused charity
- Lord Oates (Liberal Democrat), Advisor to the World Health Organisation
- Baroness Sugg (Conservative), former Minister for Overseas Territories and Sustainable Development.
Watch and read the debate
Explore background information
Find out more about the issues the debate covers in the Lords Library briefing.
Image: Copyright House of Lords 2021 / Photography by Roger Harris
Business, industry and consumers
- Crime, civil law, justice and rights
- Economy and finance
- International affairs
- Parliament, government and politics