ICGS: 18 Month Review begins
9 October 2020
The 18 month review of the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme has started this week following the appointment of Alison Stanley CBE FCIPD as the independent reviewer. Her appointment was confirmed by the House of Commons and House of Lords Commissions. The start of the review has been slightly delayed as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Alison, who performed the six month review in 2019, brings substantial public and private sector experience in the development and implementation of effective and engaging people practices. This includes the review and improvement of organisational approaches to bullying and harassment.
What the 18 month review will cover
The report is expected to be delivered in four months’ time. It will cover:
- The operation and effectiveness of the Scheme to date (covering, for example, the level of awareness of and confidence in the Scheme; the effectiveness of training; current confidentiality arrangements; and the resourcing of the Scheme);
- Progress on implementation of the recommendations in the six month review;
- Progress on implementation of recommendations relating to the ICGS contained in the Cox, White and Ellenbogen reviews;
- Recent changes to the Scheme, including the widening of the Scheme to include non-recent cases, and the operation of the new single independent helpline; and
- The governance of the Scheme.
Background on the ICGS 18 month review
Alison Stanley's report on the Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS), following the first six months of the scheme's operation, was published in May 2019. The report considered how the scheme worked in its first six months and identified key areas where the scheme needed to evolve to make sure that it meets the needs of all users. It made 50 recommendations.
The six month and 18 month reviews were recommended by the working group that developed the ICGS, as a way of ensuring that the scheme develops based on feedback, best practice and the needs of the Parliamentary community. Alison Stanley was appointed to deliver the six month review on 28 January 2019.
Further information on the six month review and the report can be found here.