Lords questions to government on 9 June
8 June 2020
The House of Lords started business on Tuesday 9 June with daily oral questions on Exercise Cygnus, economic recovery after Covid-19, support for businesses effected by the coronavirus pandemic and relaxing Covid-19 restrictions.
You can watch the full session on Parliament TV. A transcript will also be available via Lords Hansard around three hours after proceedings, and a short summary of what was discussed will be available on this page.
- Watch the session on Parliament TV
- Read the transcript in Lords Hansard from three hours after questions
Questions on Tuesday 9 June:
- Lord Hunt of Kings Heath asked the government about Exercise Cygnus and preparations for responding to a major pandemic in the UK.
Topics discussed include: preparations for the care sector; implementation of recommendations from Exercise Cygnus; publication of the report and recommendations from Cygnus; PPE stockpiles in light of Cygnus recommendations; and government response to the needs of Covid-19 as it emerged globally.
- Baroness Quin asked the government about its discussions with the Local Government Association on promoting economic recovery after the Covid-19 pandemic.
Topics discussed include: incorporating recommendations from local government and including them in future COBRA meetings; measures to support recovery of local high streets; reviewing business rates to ensure large online retailers are not advantaged over local retailers; including businesses in local recovery plans; support for rural areas; greater support for small and medium businesses; involvement in the EU's recovery package; support to reopen cultural organisations; and consultation with devolved administrations.
- Lord Haskel asked the government what plans it has to establish a public wealth investment fund to support businesses affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Topics discussed include: social benefit being an important part of business recovery; targeted help for the hardest hit sectors of the economy; Royal Bank of Scotland shares; equity investments into small and medium businesses; working with Black business finance networks; how the government can achieve a strong and sustainable recovery; monitoring support fund access by BAME businesses; investing in major infrastructure projects; the consultation underway by the Bank of England around a central bank digital currency; and encouraging the use of pension funds.
- Lord McConnell of Glenscorrodale asked the government what discussions it has conducted with the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Governments to coordinate a UK-wide approach to relaxing Covid-19 restrictions.
Topics discussed include: lack of coordination in public information; an integrated approach to lockdown restrictions across the United Kingdom; coordinating contact between the devolved administrations; consultation on mandatory facemasks on public transport; a UK-wide approach to general aviation; outcomes for citizens in the four nations of the UK; the impact of social distancing regulations on reopening the economy; Covid-19 testing for patients and care home workers throughout the UK; and people living on the border of England and Wales abiding by the different lockdown rules of each nation.
The Lord Speaker has also accepted the following urgent question (Private Notice Question) from Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town:
- Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town to ask the government what progress was made in securing a comprehensive trade and security partnership during the last round of negotiations with the European Union.
Topics discussed include: the state of negotiations between the EU and UK; the approaches of negotiating teams; the potential impact of no deal; involvement of the devolved administrations of the UK in negotiations; the latest date for a deal; access to EU databases; data regulation; future approaches to UK policy; and participation in Galileo.
- Information on hybrid proceedings
- Work of the House of Lords – making laws
- Follow @ukhouseoflords on Twitter
- Like House of Lords on Facebook
- Watch House of Lords videos on YouTube
- View House of Lords images on Flickr
- Connect with members on the Lords Digital Chamber
Image: House of Lords
Economy and finance
- European Union
- Parliament, government and politics