House of Commons recalled on 30 December
24 December 2020
The Speaker of the House of Commons granted a request from the Government to recall the House at 9.30am on Wednesday 30 December 2020.
Business when the House of Commons sits on 30 December 2020
Business papers for 30 December have been published on the parliamentary website. The main elements of the business are as follows:
- Motion to provide for virtual participation in debate;
- Business of the House motion governing proceedings on the European Union (Future Relationship) Bill;
- Debate on Second Reading of the European Union (Future Relationship) Bill, followed by all remaining proceedings on and relating to that Bill (until 2:30pm);
- Statement by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, providing an update on COVID-19;
- Statement by the Secretary of State for Education, on education return in England;
- Debate on a series of Public Health regulations (for three hours).
The House will then be suspended to await conclusion of Lords proceedings on the European Union (Future Relationship) Bill, to be followed (if necessary) by consideration of Lords Amendments and then by notification of Royal Assent, after which the House will rise.
Recall of the House of Commons
If there is an important development during a recess period, the House of Commons and House of Lords may be recalled.
Standing Order 13 gives the Speaker the authority to recall the House of Commons, if he is satisfied it is within the public interest.
Hybrid Proceedings and Proxy Voting
The Government tabled a motion to extend remote participation to substantive proceedings in the Chamber. MPs have now approved the motion, which allows any Member who wishes to participate in debates remotely to do so, thereby extending the measures that were already in place to allow remote participation in questions and statements.
The House of Commons was last recalled on 2 June 2020 to reconsider the resolution on Proceedings during the pandemic agreed to by the House on 21 April 2020. This was the 30th recall during a recess since 1948.