Government statement on HMRC Estates transformation
29 January 2019 (updated on 29 January 2019)
Addressing the Commons, Mel Stride, Financial Secretary to the Treasury and Paymaster General, announced the planned development of HMRC Estates.
The Financial Secretary provided details on the Government's plans to ensure the HMRC Estates were providing value for money to the tax payer whilst ensuring it is a technologically adept workplace. This is to be done by the relocation of its' sites to regional hubs around the UK.
- Read Commons Hansard: HMRC Estates transformation
- Watch Parliament TV: statement on HMRC Estates transformation
- Read the NAO Report on managing the HMRC Estate (external site)
In his statement, Mel Stride said:
"...in 2015 in the spending review the Government announced HMRC's locations programme to transport the department's office accommodation across the United Kingdom, moving from 170 legacy offices to 13 regional centres over the space of 10 years."
He went on to state that HMRC would save over £300 million pounds in the ten years of the programme up until 2025, and a further £90 million a year from 2028.
Shadow Treasury Minister, Anneliese Dodds, responded to the statement on behalf of the Opposition and questioned the timing of the statement and requested further details on the sites secured for regional centres.
She also referred to the NAO report published in January 2017, which indicated the original plans were unrealistic and the estates costs had risen due to high running costs for the new buildings. The Shadow Minister asked for details on which new regional centre was secured yesterday and when a list of the locations for the regional centres would be available. She also questioned the Minister's claims on how 90% of the current workforce positions are being retained, and asked if that meant the remaining 10% of the positions would be made redundant .
Follow the @HouseofCommons on Twitter for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber.
Please fill in our quick feedback survey to help us improve our news content.