Urgent question on Severe Disability Premium

07 May 2019

Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, Margaret Greenwood, asked the Government to make a statement on the Severe Disability Premium (SDP).

Disability premiums are extra amounts of money added to an individual's:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • housing benefit

Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, Margaret Greenwood, asked the Government to make a statement on the situation for former SDP claimants who have now transferred to universal credit.

Responding on behalf of the Government, Minister Justin Tomlinson, told the House;

"When designing universal credit, a choice was made to not replicate every aspect of the disability provision in the legacy system. However, I want to make very clear that our intention was that no money from this area would be taken out of the system. Universal credit was therefore designed with all of the money from the old disability premium recycled to target support for the most severely disabled."

In response to the Minister, Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary Margaret Greenwood criticised the Government's treatment of those on SDP and urged the Government to ensure that payments to former SDP claimants who have transferred to universal credit "fully reflect the loss that they have suffered".

Image: Roger Harris

Follow the @HouseofCommons on Twitter for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber. Please fill in our quick feedback survey to help us improve our news content.

More news on: Parliament, government and politics, Parliament, Social security and pensions, Benefits administration, Benefits policy, Sickness, disability and carers' benefits, House of Commons news, Commons news

Share this page

Related information

What are Urgent Questions?

At times MPs may want to put an urgent question to a Minister. If a matter of public importance has arisen, which an MP believes requires an immediate answer from a government minister, they may apply to the Speaker to put forward such a question.

How to watch proceedings from the public gallery

UK residents and overseas visitors can watch proceedings in the House of Commons by visiting the public gallery.

More Parliament news