Government announces it will fund ACM cladding replacement

09 May 2019

Housing Secretary, James Brokenshire, has today announced that the Government will fund the replacement of ACM cladding where building owners have failed to act.

The announced fund of £200m will be made available for the removal of unsafe ACM cladding from privately owned buildings. The spread of a catastrophic fire at Grenfell Tower in 2017 has been linked to the use of aluminium composite material (ACM) in its cladding.

Similar cladding can still be found on many tower blocks in the UK.

Speaking on behalf of the Government, James Brokenshire MP said:

"Where building owners have failed to step up, it is now imperative for the Government to act. We must ensure the long-term safety of the people living in these buildings. The Government is today therefore announcing a new fund to unblock progress in remediating private sector high-rise residential buildings […] this fund is about public safety: It will allow remediation to happen quickly, it will restore peace of mind, and it will allow residents living in these blocks to get on with their lives."

Responding for the opposition, John Healey MP said:

"Who would have thought, that after the solemn pledges made by the Prime Minister and other ministers in the aftermath of that terrible Grenfell Tower fire, that nearly two years on, still there are Grenfell residents in hotels and  temporary accommodation, not in permanent homes. Still almost eight in ten blocks with Grenfell-type cladding have not had it replaced […] Still no comprehensive testing programme has been done on the estimated 1700 high-rise or high-risk buildings with dangerous non-ACM cladding."

Image: PA

Follow the @HouseofCommons on Twitter for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber. Please fill in our quick feedback survey to help us improve our news content.


More news on: Parliament, government and politics, Housing and planning, Housing, Parliament, House of Commons news, Commons news, Housing standards

Share this page

Related information

  • What are statements?

    Government Ministers may make oral statements to Parliament which usually address major incidents, government policies or actions. These take place after Oral Questions and any granted Urgent Questions. Written statements are normally used to put the day-to-day business of government on the official record and in the public domain.

  • How to watch proceedings from the public gallery

    UK residents and overseas visitors can watch proceedings in the House of Commons by visiting the public gallery.

More Parliament news