Lords debates further Article 50 developments
12 March 2019
Members of the House of Lords debated further developments in discussions with the EU under Article 50 of Lisbon Treaty on Monday 11 March 2019.
- Catch up on Parliament TV (part one)
- Catch up on Parliament TV (part two)
- Read the Lords Hansard transcript (part one)
- Read the Lords Hansard transcript (part two)
- Lords Library briefing - Brexit: Recent Developments
- Find out more about debates in the Lords
Lord Callanan (Conservative), minister of state in the Department for Exiting the EU, proposed a motion that the House takes note of further developments in discussions with the EU under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.
Members discussed negotiations between the prime minister and the European Commission, terms of any backstop arrangement on the Irish border, and terms of any possible extension of the Article 50 process.
Lord Callanan's motion was agreed without a division (a vote).
The House of Lords has held a series of debates on the progress of negotiations with the EU. Under the terms of the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018, the House of Lords must 'take note' of (complete a debate on) any deal reached with the EU.
- 27 February 2019: House of Lords debates further discussions with EU
- 13 February 2019: Article 50 discussions: Lords debates Brexit
- 28 January 2019: PM's withdrawal agreement: Lords debates statement
- 15 January 2019: UK withdrawal agreement: Lords debates Brexit deal
- 11 December 2018: UK withdrawal agreement: Lords debates Brexit deal
- EU (Withdrawal Act) 2018 on legislation.gov.uk (external site)
- Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration on GOV.UK (external site)
Details of related Lords debates and results of votes can be found in the links above.
- Attend debates in the chamber
- Follow @ukhouseoflords on Twitter
- Like House of Lords on Facebook
- Watch House of Lords videos on YouTube
- View House of Lords photos on Flickr
- Connect with Lords on the Lords Digital Chamber
Image: House of Lords 2019 / Photography by Annabel Moeller