Urgent question on the Windrush Compensation Scheme
9 April 2019
David Lammy, MP for Tottenham, asked the Home Office to make a statement to the Commons on the Windrush Compensation Scheme.
- Watch Parliament TV: Urgent question on the Windrush compensation scheme
- Read Commons Hansard: Urgent question on the Windrush compensation scheme
On behalf of the Government the Minister of State for Immigration, Caroline Noakes, said;
"The scheme will provide payments to eligible individuals who did not have the right documentation to prove their status in the UK and suffered adverse effects on their life as a result."
Mr Lammy pressed the Minister about the caps set on compensation by the scheme, saying;
"Victims have correctly described these payments as peanuts and insultingly low."
On 3 April, Home Secretary Sajid Javid provided the House of Commons with an update on the Windrush compensation scheme.
- Watch Parliament TV: statement on Windrush compensation scheme
- Read Commons Hansard: statement on Windrush compensation scheme
- GOV.UK Guidance Windrush Compensation Scheme [external site]
Image: PA/PA Wire