Kate Green confirmed as Chair of Standards Committee
15 October 2018
Kate Green, MP for Stretford and Urmston, has been elected unopposed as the new Chair of the Committee on Standards.
Green replaces Sir Kevin Barron who announced last month that he was stepping down from the role. As the only candidate nominated, she was elected to the post unopposed.
Green has been a member of the Committee since October 2017 and was previously a shadow minister between October 2011 and June 2016.
What is the Committee on Standards?
The Committee on Standards was appointed on 13 December 2012 by the House of Commons following its separation from the former Committee on Standards and Privileges to:
- oversee the work of the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.
- examine the arrangements proposed by the Commissioner for the compilation, maintenance and accessibility of the Register of Members' Financial Interests and any other registers of interest established by the House.
- review from time to time the form and content of those registers.
- consider any specific complaints made in relation to the registering or declaring of interests referred to it by the Commissioner.
- consider any matter relating to the conduct of Members, including specific complaints in relation to alleged breaches in the Code of Conduct which have been drawn to the Committee's attention by the Commissioner.
- recommend any modifications to the Code of Conduct as may from time to time appear to be necessary.
Image: Parliamentary Copyright
Please fill in our quick feedback survey to help us improve our news content.