Urgent question on horsemeat

14 February 2013

Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Mary Creagh, asked for an update to the House of Commons on Thursday 14 February on the horsemeat adulteration problem and the police action that has been taken.

Minister of State for Agriculture and Food, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, David Heath responded to the question on behalf of the Government.

Urgent questions

At times MPs may want to put an urgent question to a Minister. If a matter of public importance has arisen, which an MP believes requires an immediate answer from a government minister, they may apply to the Speaker to put forward such a question.

The relevant government department would be informed at once.
If the Speaker agrees, the question will be asked after that day’s Question Time.

Once the MP has asked the main question, they are allowed to ask a supplementary question. Other MPs will then be called to ask further questions on the same subject.

Image: PA / Peter Byrne

More news on: Parliament, government and politics, Parliament, Agriculture, animals, food and rural affairs, Food, House of Commons news, Commons news

Share this page