Statement on House of Lords reform

18 May 2011

Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, made a statement to the House of Commons on Tuesday 17 May on the publication of a draft Bill and white paper on reform of the House of Lords.

House of Lords reform

The Cabinet Office has published a White Paper on House of Lords Reform and a draft Bill for pre-legislative scrutiny. The draft Bill and White Paper will be scrutinised by a Joint Committee of both Houses of Parliament.

The Joint Committee will be composed of 13 MPs and 13 Members of the House of Lords. It is expected that the Committee will report its finding early in 2012 and a Government Bill will be published and introduced to Parliament.

Watch and read the statement and the views expressed by MPs on Parliament TV and in Commons Hansard. Shadow Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, Sadiq Khan, responded to the Statement on behalf of the Opposition.

Summary of reform proposals

The draft Bill contains many proposals for a reformed second chamber but the key features of the Bill are:
  • The second chamber to have 300 members
  • 80% of Members to be elected and the remaining 20% to be independently appointed
  • provision for a fully elected chamber
  • Members to be elected for single 15-year terms under the single transferable vote system of proportional representation
  • A third of members to be elected in 2015, a further third in 2020 and 2025
  • Number of Church of England bishops to be reduced from 26 to 12

House of Commons Library analysis

The House of Commons Library regularly produce briefing papers which inform MPs about key issues. The Library has produced a number of briefing notes on House of Lords reform.

Image: Parliamentary copyright 

More news on: Parliament, government and politics, Parliament, House of Commons news, House of Lords news, Members of Parliament, Members of the Lords, Parliamentary procedure, Commons news, Constitution, Legislative process

Share this page