House of Lords Brexit round-up: Process of exiting the EU
On 29 March 2017 the prime minister notified the European Council of the UK's intention to withdraw from the European Union.
The House of Lords is looking at the work of the EU, the implications of leaving and the exit process. This page contains a round-up of some of the key reports, analysis and debates on Brexit from the Lords on the topic of the process of exiting the EU.
The bill to confer power on the Prime Minister to notify the European Council, under Article 50, of the UK's intention to withdraw from the EU, started its journey through the House of Lords on 8 February 2017 and concluded with Royal Assent on 16 March 2017.
- Lords News: European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill
- Bills and legislation: European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill
The bill to repeal the European Communities Act 1972 and make other provisions in connection with the UK's withdrawal started its journey through the House of Lords on 18 January 2018 and concluded with Royal Assent on 26 June 2018.
Reports and analysis
- EU Committee: Brexit: Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration report published by Committee
- EU Committee: UK and EU need to compromise for a fruitful post-Brexit relationship
- Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform: EU (Withdrawal) Bill gives Ministers too much power to avoid parliamentary scrutiny
- Constitution Committee: EU (Withdrawal) Bill needs amending to make it constitutionally acceptable
- EU Committee: Brexit: deal or no deal
- EU Committee: Withdrawing from the European Union
During debates, members are able to put their real-world experience to good use, discussing current issues and drawing the government's attention to concerns.
- 26 June 2018: Lords debate UK-EU relations after Brexit report
- 16 January 2018 - Lords debates Brexit: deal or no deal report
- 5 April 2017 - Lords debates parliamentary scrutiny of Brexit
- 1 December 2016: Debate on future relationship with European Union
Lords Library briefings
The House of Lords Library is producing a range of guides on Brexit, including the following process related briefings:
- 12 April 2018: European Union (Withdrawal) Bill: Lords Committee stage
- 25 January 2018: European Union (Withdrawal) Bill: Briefing for Lords Stages
- 19 June 2017: Queen's Speech 2017 Day 4: Exiting the European Union
- 27 March 2017: European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 and Parliamentary Approval of the Outcome of Brexit Negotiations
- 22 March 2017: European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 and the Rights of EU Nationals
- 30 January 2017: European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill - Briefing for Lords Stages
- 25 November 2016: Leaving the European Union - Future UK-EU Relationship
- 9 November 2016: High Court Judgment on Article 50: Responses