House of Lords Brexit round-up: Economic affairs
On 29 March 2017 the prime minister notified the European Council of the UK's intention to withdraw from the European Union.
The House of Lords is looking at the work of the EU, the implications of leaving and the exit process. This page contains a round-up of some of the key reports, analysis and debates on Brexit from the Lords on the topic of economic affairs.
Reports and analysis
- EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee: UK infrastructure bank may be needed to replace EIB funding post-Brexit
- EU Internal Market Sub-Committee: Opportunity for a more effective competition regime post-Brexit
- EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee: Financial services industry needs clarity on post-Brexit market access, says Committee
- EU Committee: Brexit - will consumers be protected?
- EU Economic Affairs Sub-Committee: Immigration policies being formulated in the dark, say Lords committee
- EU Internal Market Sub-Committee: UK needs uniquely comprehensive trade agreement to protect service sectors
- EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee: UK payments to EU budget could end but political consequences would be profound
- EU External Affairs Sub-Committee: Customs admin and delays a serious concern for firms after Brexit
- EU Internal Market Sub-Committee: Brexit requires compromise between sovereignty and liberalising trade, report says
- EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee: Transitional period for financial services vital following Brexit
During debates, members are able to put their real-world experience to good use, discussing current issues and drawing the government's attention to concerns.
- 16 January 2019: Lords debate Committee's report on consumer protection after Brexit
- 5 June 2018: Future of financial regulation and supervision post-Brexit report debated
- 24 May 2018: Brexit: competition and state aid debated by Lords
- 8 February 2018: Brexit and the Labour Market report debate
- 18 July 2017: Brexit - trade in goods report debated by Lords
- 6 April 2017: Brexit and the EU budget report debated by Lords
- 28 February 2017: Brexit - the options for trade report debated by Lords
- 9 February 2017: Brexit - financial services report debated by Lords
- 26 October 2016: Opportunities for global free trade
Lords Library briefings
The House of Lords Library is producing a range of guides on Brexit, including the following economic affairs related briefings:
- 30 January 2018: Current European Union Trade Agreements
- 28 March 2017: Leaving the European Union - World Trade Organisation
- 27 January 2017: Leaving the European Union - Customs Unions - An Introduction
- 20 January 2017: Leaving the European Union - The single market, the rights of EU citizens in the UK and the UK's future economic requirements
- 20 October 2016: Leaving the European Union - Global Free Trade
- 5 August 2016: UK-Commonwealth Trade