Balkans Inquiry: Lords to question international organisation for migration over trafficking and modern slavery
Mr Peter Van Der Auweraert, the Western Balkans Sub-Regional Coordinator and Head, Land, Property and Reparations Division, will appear before the House of Lords International Relations Committee on Wednesday 25 October as part of its inquiry Beyond Brexit: the UK and the Balkans.
Appearing at 10.30am via videolink Mr Van Der Auweraert will be asked questions including:
- How have trends of human trafficking changed across the Western Balkans?
- What are the numbers, and what are the main destination countries? To what extent is the UK a destination country?
- What is the nature and extent of modern slavery in the Western Balkans?
- Fighting modern slavery is a UK foreign policy priority. What would you assess to be the most effective British initiatives in the region?
- How do you assess the level of support received by the Western Balkans to manage the movement of people? What further or different approaches might you advise the UK to take?
The evidence session will take place at 10.30am in Committee Room 1.