Ex-Archbishop of Canterbury debates religion and online freedom of expression with Peers
Wednesday 18 January 2021
Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Williams of Oystermouth will appear before the House of Lords Communications and Digital Committee to discuss freedom of expression and religion online tomorrow (Tuesday 19 January at 3.00 p.m.).
Peers will explore with Lord Williams issues around freedom of expression and its application to religious forms of expression.
The committee will hear also (at 4.00 p.m.) about freedom of expression and privacy from:
- Dr David Erdos, Senior Lecturer in Law and the Open Society, University of Cambridge
- Dr Edina Harbinja, Senior Lecturer in Media and Privacy Law, Aston University
Possible questions and topics for discussion include:
- How does privacy affect freedom of expression?
- Does UK law protect users adequately from surveillance by technology companies and the state?
- Should anonymity online be curtailed?
The session will be live on Parliament TV.