Lords Finance Bill Sub-Committee to hear evidence on tax checks for licence renewals
Friday 9 October 2020
On Monday 12 October 2020 two panels of witnesses will give evidence to the House of Lords Economic Affairs Finance Bill Sub-Committee inquiry on the draft Finance Bill 2020–21. The witnesses will focus on the issue of tax checks for licence renewals.
These public evidence sessions will have remote participation by witnesses and Committee members. The session will be streamed live on Parliament TV.
The first session will begin at 4pm. Giving evidence will be:
- James Button, President, Institute of Licensing
- John Miley, National Chair, National Association of Licensing and Enforcement Officers.
The second session will begin at 5pm. Giving evidence will be:
- Antonia Grey, Public Affairs and Communications Manager, British Metals Recycling Association
- Steve McNamara, General Secretary, Licensed Taxi Drivers Association
- Steve Wright, Chair, Licensed Private Hire Car Association.
The topics that will be covered include:
- How easy or difficult the proposed tax checks will be.
- The justification for and likely impact of these changes.
- How well these changes have been communicated to licence holders.
- If the changes achieve the stated aim of diverting more customers away from the hidden economy.
On Monday 5 October the Committee took evidence from the Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS), Institute of Chartered Accountants England and Wales (ICAEW), Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT), Law Society (LS), and Tax Investigations Practitioners Group (TIPG). You can watch this session back on Parliament TV.
The House of Lords Economic Affairs Finance Bill Sub-Committee’s inquiry is focussing on three areas of the draft Finance Bill 2020–21, all of which are related to the powers of HMRC:
- New proposals for tackling promoters and enablers of tax avoidance schemes;
- New tax checks on licence renewal applications; and
- Amendments to HMRC’s civil information powers.
This inquiry has its own web page.