Lords EU Committee to hear from Robin Walker on role of Northern Ireland Office on implementation of Northern Ireland Protocol
The House of Lords EU Committee will next week take evidence from Robin Walker MP, Minister of State for Northern Ireland Office as it explores the role of the Northern Ireland Office in the implementation of the Ireland/Northern Ireland Protocol.
The virtual evidence session will start at 4pm on Tuesday 28 July and will be available to watch live at parliamentlive.tv
Areas the session will cover include:
- The role of the Northern Ireland Office in the development of the Government's position on the Protocol.
- Whether the Northern Ireland Office has a role in liaising with the Northern Ireland Executive, the political parties of Northern Ireland, and the Irish Government, in relation to the Protocol.
- How the Northern Ireland office is engaging with businesses in Northern Ireland and how it is responding to their concerns over the implementation of the Protocol.
- Whether, in view of the challenges of COVID-19, business in Northern Ireland is ready for the Protocol to become operational after the end of the transition period on 1 January 2021.
- What is being done to minimise the risk of the Protocol's democratic consent mechanism causing political and economic instability every four or eight years.