Lords Sport and Recreation Committee to hear from ukactive, Sport and Recreation Alliance and the Sports Think Tank
8 December 2020
The House of Lords Committee on a National Plan for Sport and Recreation will this week hear from think tanks and third sector organisations focused on promoting participation in sport.
Starting at 3:30pm on Wednesday 9 December the Committee will quiz representatives from ukactive, the Sport and Recreation Alliance and the Sports Think Tank.
The session can be watched live on Parliament TV. Giving evidence will be:
- Huw Edwards, CEO, ukactive
- Andy Reed OBE, Co-Founder and Director, Sports Think Tank
- Lisa Wainwright, CEO, Sport and Recreation Alliance
The session will cover a number of key themes for the Committee’s inquiry including:
- The Government’s track record in encouraging more people to be physically active and whether current public funding structures are delivering money to the right places.
- The implications of the increase in people doing informal and individual exercise such as walking and attending gyms rather than taking part in organised sport.
- Whether the right skills and experience are in place among the sports and recreation workforce and how that workforce can be made more diverse.
- Whether existing sports governing bodies are fit for purpose and what more can be done to ensure they are more accountable for how they deliver their sports to the communities they serve.