Lords EU Committee to question DExEU Minister Stephen Barclay
The House of Lords EU Committee will tomorrow take evidence on the state of the Brexit negotiations from Stephen Barclay MP, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union at the DExEU.
The Committee will quiz Mr Barclay on a range of issues including:
- The current position in Parliament following the Government's defeat in the meaningful vote and how it will respond to amendments put down to the motion due for debate on 29 January.
- Concessions the Prime Minister will seek in reopening her negotiations with the EU.
- The Government view on how the backstop agreement might be amended.
- Legislative and other preparations the Government are making in case of a no-deal Brexit.
- The possibility of an extension to Article 50.
- What the Prime Minister meant when she said the Government's approach to Brexit had to change following the meaningful vote debate.