Joint Committee on Restoration and Renewal Bill to hear from Chair of Sponsor Board
The Joint Committee on the Draft Parliamentary Buildings (Restoration and Renewal) Bill will tomorrow take evidence from Liz Peace CBE, Chair of the R&R Shadow Sponsor Board and Tom Healey, Director of the Restoration & Renewal shadow Sponsor Body.
The session will be the Committee's first public evidence session and will see it question Ms Peace and Mr Healey on their view of the Draft Bill and whether it sets the right scope and powers for the Sponsor Body to effectively oversee the R&R Programme.
The evidence session will start at 10:00am on Wednesday 9 January in Parliament's Committee Room 15.
Areas the Committee will question the witnesses on include:
- How the Sponsor Board will ensure the programme achieves the correct balance between frugality and high standards.
- How the Sponsor Board will ensure it has enough expertise to oversee the work of the Delivery Authority on the most technical and complex aspects of R&R.
- The power in the Bill for the Leader of the House of Commons to dissolve the Sponsor Body.
- The planning process and the relationship between Parliament and the planning authorities.
- How the Sponsor Body will manage keeping Members of both Houses informed and engaged with R&R but prevent the risk or micromanagement or excessive intervention.