Energy companies to be questioned about future financing
The Lords Agriculture, Fisheries, Environment and Energy EU Sub-Committee will question representatives of energy suppliers on Wednesday 9 January as part of their current inquiry into EU energy policy.
The Committee will be hearing from:
- Ravi Baga, Head of Upstream Energy Policy and Regulation, EDF;
- Rupert Steele, Director of Regulation, ScottishPower; and
- Dr Keith MacLean, Policy and Research Director, SSE.
The witnesses are likely to face questions on issues including:
- whether the private sector will deliver the capital investment required in the energy sector without placing burdens on businesses and households;
- to what extent investment in energy can be used as a driver of growth and create new jobs;
- how differing Member State approaches to energy policy affect their operational abilities;
- their views on the future of coal and gas;
- how EU policy can help energy sector investment and low-carbon investment in particular; and
- whether the EU should set a renewable energy target for 2030.
The evidence session will take place on Wednesday 9 January at 11am in Committee Room 3A of the House of Lords and will be webcast live at www.parliamentlive.tv.
The evidence session is also open to the public. Journalists wishing to attend should go to Parliament's Cromwell Green Entrance and should allow time for security screening.