Lords EU Committee to quiz Minister for Europe
The House of Lords EU Committee will tomorrow question the Rt Hon David Lidington MP, Minister for Europe, on the October European Council where EU proposals for banking union were discussed.
Areas the Committee will cover with Mr Lidington include:
- Negotiations over the EU budget, or Multiannual Financial Framework, and whether the Prime Minister's suggestion that he may veto any budget increases has isolated the UK in those negotiations.
- The Government's views on the latest ‘negotiating box', which proposes cuts far smaller than those the UK Government, have demanded.
- How will proposals for an EU banking union impact on the UK?
- What financial contributions will be required from Member States to help the EU tackles unemployment in Europe?
- Following negative European Commission monitoring reports on Bulgaria and Romania in July, has the situation in those countries improved?
The evidence session will take place at 2.40pm on Thursday 1 November in Committee Room 4 of the House of Lords and will be webcast live at www.parliamentlive.tv.
The evidence session is also open to the public. Journalists wishing to attend should go to Parliament's Cromwell Green Entrance and should allow time for security screening.