House of Lords Commission and domestic committees
Domestic select committees focus on the management and delivery of parliamentary and corporate services in the House of Lords.
House of Lords Commission
The House of Lords Commission provides high-level strategic and political direction for the House of Lords Administration on behalf of the House. It agrees the annual Estimate, supervises the arrangements relating to financial support for members and works with the Management Board to develop, sets and approve the strategic business plan, the annual business and financial plans for the Administration and monitors the performance of the Administration against agreed targets.
The Commission is supported by the Services Committee, the Finance Committee and the Audit Committee.
The Services Committee agrees day-to-day policy on services for members of the House of Lords, provides advice on strategic policy decisions when sought by the Commission and oversees the delivery and implementation of both.
The Finance Committee considers expenditure on services from the Estimate for the House of Lords, and with the assistance of the Management Board, prepares the forecast outturn, Estimate and financial plan for submission to the Commission. The Committee also monitors the financial performance of the House Administration and reports to the Commission on the financial implications of significant proposals.
The Audit Committee examines and monitors audit arrangements in the House of Lords and provides advice to the accounting officer on the exercise of his responsibilities.
Works of Art Advisory Panel
The Works of Art Advisory Panel will be appointed by the Lord Speaker to report and make recommendations to the Lord Speaker on the House of Lords Works of Art collection.
There are five Lords committees chaired by the Senior Deputy Speaker that deal with the internal procedures and work of the House:
- Liaison Committee coordinates and allocates resources for committee work
- Committee for Privileges and Conduct oversees the Code of Conduct for members of the House of Lords, the Guide to the Code of Conduct and the Register of Lords' Interests
- Sub-Committee on Lords' Conduct undertakes detailed consideration of matters relating to the Code of Conduct
- Procedure Committee considers the operation of procedures for parliamentary business in the Lords
- Committee of Selection proposes to the House members of the Lords to sit on select committees.