EVIDENCE SESSION ON DEPARTMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT ANNUAL REPORT 2008
Tuesday 15 July, 10.30 am
Committee Room 6, House of Commons
Department for International Development
- Nemat (Minouche) Shafik, Permanent Secretary
- Mark Lowcock, Director General, Country Programmes
- Sue Owen, Director General, Corporate Performance
This is the second session on the DFID Annual Report 2008. It will provide the opportunity to explore with the DFID Permanent Secretary the extent to which the Department is using its funding effectively and efficiently towards the achievement of its overall objective of poverty reduction and to discuss a broad range of topical development issues.
The Committee has indicated that the particular areas on which it will focus in this year’s inquiry are:
- The implications for achievement of the Millennium Development Goal poverty reduction targets of DFID’s middle-income country strategy and the 90:10 split in funding between low- and middle-income countries;
- The effectiveness of DFID’s mechanisms for evaluating the impact of its aid; and
- DFID’s approach to agricultural development (including the likely impact on agricultural research of DFID’s Research Strategy 2008-13).
Committee Membership is as follows: Malcolm Bruce MP (Chairman, Lib Dem), John Battle MP (Lab), Hugh Bayley MP (Lab), John Bercow MP (Con), Richard Burden MP (Lab), Mr Stephen Crabb MP (Con), Daniel Kawczynski MP (Con), Ann McKechin MP (Lab), Jim Sheridan MP (Lab), Mr Marsha Singh MP (Lab), Sir Robert Smith MP (Lib Dem).
Committee Contact: Carol Oxborough, 020 7219 1226, or
Media Enquiries: Alex Paterson, 020 7219 1589, or
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications/Reports/Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge Street, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474)