DELIVERING THE GOODS: HIV/AIDS AND THE PROVISION OF ANTI-RETROVIRALS
Tuesday 22 November, Location to be confirmed (Palace of Westminster or Portcullis House)
Dr Tom Ellman, Medical Adviser to MSF (UK),
Dr Mandeep Dhaliwal, International HIV/AIDS Alliance,
Ms Sandra Black, Policy adviser, HIV team, WHO, and
Mr Ben Plumley, Director, UNAIDS Executive Office
Mr Hans-Martin Boehmer, Head of Human Development Group, Policy Division, DFID;
Ms Robin Gorna, Senior AIDS adviser and team leader, Policy Division, DFID; and
Mr Daniel Graymore, Private Sector Adviser, Global AIDS policy team, Policy Division, DFID
This one-off evidence session held ahead of World AIDS Day 2005 (December 1) will focus on the following areas:
Addressing the HIV/AIDS pandemic: what are the priorities in 2006?
- Progress on achieving target 7 within the 6th MDG
- The delivery of ARVs in resource-poor settings
- Gaps in treatment: children and other vulnerable groups
- Prevention and treatment: achieving a balance
International targets for ARV provision
- Lessons learnt from the WHO 3x5 initiative
- The G8 commitment to universal ARV provision by 2010
- UNAIDS strategy to achieve the 2010 goal, including DFID's role
The UK contribution
- DFID policy and practice on HIV/AIDS: the implementation of "Taking Action"
- Accountability and monitoring
- Policy coherence on HIV/AIDS across Whitehall
Detailed enquiries to Hannah Weston, Second Clerk of the Committee on 020 7219 0851 or
Please note that starting times of evidence sessions may be subject to late changes. Those wishing to attend either of these sessions should contact the Committee Office Information Line on 020 7219 2033 to confirm the venue the day before the hearing, or please have a look at the ‘Future meetings’ section of our website, nearer the day of the meeting.
membership of the Committee is as follows: Malcolm Bruce MP (Chairman, Lib Dem), John Barrett MP (Lib Dem), John Battle MP (Lab), John Bercow MP (Con), Hugh Bayley MP (Lab), Richard Burden MP (Lab), Mr Quentin Davies MP (Con), Mr Jeremy Hunt MP (Con), Ann McKechin MP (Lab), Joan Ruddock MP (Lab), Mr Marsha Singh (Lab).
Media Enquiries: Jessica Bridges-Palmer, 020 7219 0718 or
Committee website: www.parliament.uk/indcom
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications/Reports/Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge Street, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474)