Session - 2002/03
5th June 2003
PRESS NOTICE -
DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE AND THE OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES
The International Development Committee has agreed to undertake an inquiry in the autumn into
Development Assistance and the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
In particular, the inquiry will address the following issues:
1. The effectiveness of aid from UK and EU sources on Palestinian poverty levels, how it is targeted and what could be done to prevent it from being wasted or destroyed.
2. The impact on Palestinian trade, employment and economic development of customs duties and taxes, and controls on the movement of goods and people at Israeli ports and airports and points of entry to the West Bank and Gaza.
3. The impact of the wall of separation for Palestinian farmers and for employment, movement of people and delivery of humanitarian assistance.
4. The control that the network of settlements in the occupied territories have over the basic conditions for the development of the Palestinian economy: agricultural land, water, movement of persons and goods, environmental impacts.
5. The accountability of Palestinian government institutions and the technical capacities of the public and private sectors to build an autonomous and viable economy.
6. The role of civil society, including NGOs, in ensuring a broad popular participation in the development of Palestinian society.
7. Priorities for UK aid through bilateral and multilateral channels to strengthen the infrastructure of Palestinian development.
8. The role of aid in supporting political solutions to the conflict.
9. Future development needs of a Palestinian state and the potential for its economic cooperation with Israel.
THE COMMITTEE INVITES ORGANISATIONS AND INDIVIDUALS WITH RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND EXPERTISE TO SUBMIT MEMORANDA
Any memorandum of more than six pages should include a summary at the front. Once submitted, evidence is the property of the Committee and may be published. Evidence should be sent to the Clerk of the Committee ideally by
1 September 2003. If possible, please supply an electronic version in MS Word or Rich Text Format, either by e-mail to INDCOM@parliament.uk or on a disk. If submitted by e-mail or e-mail attachment, a letter should also be sent validating the e-mail. Further guidance on the submission of evidence can be found at
Detailed enquiries to Sarah Hartwell, Second Clerk, on 020 7219 0851 or
Reports and press notices issued by the International Development Committee are available on the