Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee

Session 2003-04
28 June 2004 New inquiry into Waste Policy and the Landfill Directive

28 June 2004 New inquiry into Waste Policy and the Landfill Directive

The Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee has decided to conduct a major inquiry into aspects of Waste Policy, particularly those relating to meeting the requirements of the Landfill Directive.

The inquiry will address a number of important matters. The matters looked at will include:

  • Hazardous Waste: from July 2004 the Landfill Directive requires that co-disposal of hazardous and other waste is ended; the Committee will look back at the impact of that change, at the adequacy and effectiveness of preparations made for it, and at what steps should now be taken.

  • Landfill more generally: the Committee will examine whether the United Kingdom is on target to meet its commitments under the Landfill Directive, and at what is needed - including extra resources and additional powers for local authorities and the Environment Agency - to address the challenges of the Directive.

The Committee's focus will be the performance of the Government.

All interested parties are invited to submit written evidence which addresses these terms of reference. The deadline for the submission of evidence is Friday 8 October 2004. More information about the format of submissions is given below.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Evidence should be submitted in Word or WordPerfect formats, and should be sent by e-mail to combsl@parliament.uk. The body of the e-mail must include a contact name, telephone number and postal address. The e-mail should also make clear who the submission is from.

Submissions should be as brief as possible, and certainly no more than 3,000 words. Paragraphs should be numbered for ease of reference, and the document should include a brief executive summary. Those submitting evidence are reminded that evidence should be original work, not previously published or circulated elsewhere. Once submitted no public use should be made of it, but those wishing to publish their evidence before it is published by the Committee are invited to contact the Clerk of the Committee to obtain permission to do so.