Session 2008-09, 22 July 2009
NEW INQUIRY / EVIDENCE SESSIONS
The Defence Committee is undertaking an inquiry to examine aspects of the MoD’s Defence Equipment programme. It expects to follow up areas of weakness and poor performance identified in its last Report, Defence Equipment 2009 (HC 107), which was published earlier this Session. The Committee intends to focus on armoured vehicles and the future of the FRES (Future Rapid Effect System) programme, strategic air-lift and maritime capability.
The Committee would welcome written evidence to the inquiry on these or any other issues related to defence equipment. Written evidence should be sent to the Clerk of the Defence Committee by Friday 13 November 2009
The Defence Committee is planning to hold at least three evidence sessions in December 2009 with the Chief of Defence Materiel, with representatives from the Defence Industries and with the Ministers for Defence Equipment and Support and Strategic Defence Acquisition Reform. These sessions will all take place at the House of Commons. More detail on these sessions will be announced in the early Autumn.
Those wishing to attend the meetings should check the exact venue by contacting the House of Commons Public Information Office on 020 7219 4272 on the day before the hearing.
SUBMISSION OF WRITTEN EVIDENCE:
- Submissions should be in Word or rich text format and sent by e-mail to
email@example.com. The body of the e-mail must include a contact name, telephone number and postal address. The e-mail should also make clear who the submission is from
- Submissions should be as brief as possible, and paragraphs should be numbered for ease of reference. Longer documents should include an executive summary.
- Committees make public much of the evidence they receive during inquiries. If you do not wish your submission to be published, you must clearly say so. If you wish to include private or confidential information in your submission to the Committee, please contact the Clerk of the Committee to discuss this.
- Personal information, such as address and contact details, should be provided separately from the body of your submission. You should be aware that there may be circumstances in which the House of Commons will be required to communicate information to third parties on request, in order to comply with its obligations under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Submissions should be original work, not previously published or circulated elsewhere. Once submitted, no public use should be made of the submission unless you have first obtained permission from the Clerk of the Committee.
NOTE FOR EDITORS:
The Committee was nominated on 13 July 2005. The Defence Committee is appointed by the House of Commons to examine the expenditure, administration, and policy of the Ministry of Defence and its associated public bodies.
Media Enquiries: Alex Paterson, Tel 020 7219 1589, 07917 488 488. email:
Specific Committee Information: Tel 020 7219 5745, email:
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online:
Publications / Reports / Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge St, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474). Committee reports, press releases, evidence transcripts, Bills; research papers, a directory of MPs, plus Hansard (from 8am daily) and much more, can be found on