The new House of Lords Committee on Soft Power and the UK’s Influence will take evidence from leading voices in international relations on Monday 24 June as it takes the next step in its inquiry.
Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief of The Economist;
- Professor Michael Cox from the London School of Economics; and
- Lord Williams of Baglan from Chatham House (former UN Under Secretary-General and Special Coordinator for Lebanon)
Areas the session will cover include
- How have the growth of social media and other advances in global communications changed the face of international relations?
- Are traditional powers being confronted by a ‘rise of the rest’ in terms of rival states and non-state powers?
- How should soft power fit into the UK’s response to these challenges?
- What is the right balance between soft and hard power, and how should the UK’s positioning adapt to this changed world?