Sir Alan Langlands, Chief Executive of the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), and Dr Steven Hill, Head of Research Councils UK’s (RCUK) Strategy Unit, will be questioned by the Lords Science and Technology Committee on Tuesday 24 January, as part of an inquiry into the state of higher education in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects.
At 3.25pm, Tuesday 24 January, Committee Room 3, Palace of Westminster
- Sir Alan Langlands, Chief Executive of the Higher Education Funding Council for England
- Dr Steven Hill, Head of Research Councils UK’s Strategy Unit
The Committee are likely to address issues such as:
- why there are different definitions of STEM subjects for HEFCE and for the Government and whether this should be standardised;
- what RCUK feels could be done to persuade UK students to pursue PhDs in STEM subjects in order to keep research and development work in the UK;
- issues surrounding financial support for postgraduate students; and
- what the UK can learn from other countries about reforming HE.