In its final evidence session, the Rural Economy Committee asks Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, and Lord Gardiner of Kimble, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Rural Affairs, about the Government’s vision for the rural economy.
Tuesday 22 January in Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Defra
- Lord Gardiner of Kimble, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Rural Affairs and Biodiversity
- How can rural proofing be made more effective, accountable and transparent?
- Defra has been criticised for paying too little attention to rural affairs compared to the time and resources it dedicates to agricultural and environmental issues. Is that a fair criticism?
- How is Defra working with MHCLG to ensure that Local Enterprise Partnerships deliver for rural economies, particularly in their anticipated role leading on delivery of the Shared Prosperity Fund?
- How is Defra working with DCMS to ensure that hard-to-reach areas are prioritised for full fibre roll out and 5G mobile connections?