The Chairman of the Natural Capital Committee, Professor Dieter Helm provides evidence to the Select Committee on the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006. A second session sees representatives from the farming sector discuss the Act and current issues facing their industry.
Tuesday 24 October, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Dieter Helm CBE, Professor of Economic Policy, University of Oxford and Chairman of the Natural Capital Committee
- George Dunn, Chief Executive, Tenant Farmers Association
- David Trigger MBE, Chairman, Small Farms Association
- What is natural capital and how do we measure natural capital? What does this method value well, and what less well?
- Is there enough understanding and capacity available within local
authorities and other relevant public bodies to allow them to implement natural capital accounting effectively at a local level?
- Do you think that Natural England's current balance of objectives and functions is appropriate?
- When has the rural-proofing of national policy worked best, and when has it not worked at all?