The International Relations Committee takes evidence from the International Organisation for Migration on Human Trafficking, Modern Slavery and Migration Routes through the Balkans.
Wednesday 25 October, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
At 10.30am [via video-link]
- Mr Peter Van Der Auweraert, Western Balkans Sub-Regional Coordinator and Head of Land, Property and Reparations Division
- Have trends of Human Trafficking changed across the Western Balkans?
- Where are the main destination countries? To what extent is the UK a destination country?
- What is the nature and extent of modern slavery in the Western Balkans? How does the picture differ across the region?
- Given that fighting modern slavery is a UK policy priority, what areas would you urge the UK to focus on in the Western Balkans?
- What are the most recent number of migrants coming through the Western Balkans route?
- We have heard that some migrants are stranded in the Western Balkans, with some NGOs concerned about the conditions in which they are living. What are the numbers?
- Is there a humanitarian concern for migrants in this situation?