On Tuesday 10 March the House of Lords European Union Select Committee will take evidence from the Rt Hon David Lidington MP, Minister for Europe on the Review of the Balance of Competences between the EU and UK and the up-coming European Council meeting on 19-20 March.
Tuesday 10 March, Committee Room 4, Palace of Westminster
- Rt Hon David Lidington MP, Minister of State for Europe, Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Topics of Discussion
The Minister will be questioned on the Review of the Balance of Competences exercise and the up-coming European Council meeting.
This is the third 'pre-Council' evidence session with the Minister for Europe, and the final such session before the General Election. The European Council is taking place on 19-20 March 2015.
Balance of Competences
In this session the Minister will be questioned on:
- What is the Minister's assessment of the conduct of the Review?
- What analysis has been done to draw the Review's findings together?
- How is the Government going to use the reports to inform future policies?
- What are the Minister's projection for the cost of the Review?
- How would the Minister like these reports to be used in informing public debate on the EU?
Areas the Committee will cover with Mr Lidington include:
- What are the Minister's views on the proposed changes to the electricity market and the further integration of energy systems?
- How the UK is engaging in the EU's climate diplomacy effort?
- What are the Minister's views on the Commission's proposals for Energy Union?
- If there are any new initiatives on the table to break the dead-lock in eastern Ukraine?